These men and their stories are truly remarkable. This experience is invaluable. The goal of this event was to have students hear first-hand stories from these brave people they have been learning about in their history books.
It was an amazing experience for everyone. I couldn't help but cry when I listened to some of the stories. So many of these men reminded me of my dear grandfather who was also a WWII veteran. The way they spoke about their duty, their country, their buddies, their wives of 60+ years...they are heroes, each and every one of them!


Veterans arriving at RCHS and being escorted from the parking lot
Left: Our friend Tom Mealey (Vietnam) with an ROTC student escort Right: Our friend Heather with her grandpa Charles McMillan(WWII)


ROTC presenting the colors
Honored guest: Sarah Hull's grandfather Fred Wise (WWII) One of the planes he flew is in the Smithsonian Museum


Jack Hammit, Pearl Harbor survivor, awesome story teller

Left: one veteran's collection Right: Ralph Langley, a veteran who asked Aaron to come over to his house to talk about the event before it took place...he and his wife talked with Aaron for a few hours at their home, offered Aaron drinks and snacks, etc...so sweet and hospitable

Left: a veteran reading to his students from his journal
Heather Duncan's(Bittles) grandfather Charles McMillan telling his stories about his service in the Army (infantry) in WWII. His great-granddaughter Brooke is pictured with him on the left. He was in combat at The Battle of the Bulge among other battles. He told very detailed stories about his experiences. He told of an incident where the first scout directly before him was shot (80 rounds) and killed. In the dark of night, Charles told his group to lay still so they would not be seen. He laid face down in the snow trying to bury himself by slowly moving his nose deeper into the snow. He and the rest of them survived that encounter. During another engagement, his hand was severely wounded by shrapnel. He was also shot, rolled down a hill, and barely survived. Upon arriving at a hospital, he was basically told he was not going to survive and was read his final rights. What an amazing man. He spoke of his sweet wife whom he lost just a few months ago. He said, "I've had such a wonderful life. America is the best country in the world...the best country."










6 comments:
TEARS!!! What an awesome day! I love all the pictures. I especially love the one of my grandpa and all those boys look like they are listening SO well and are really interested in what he is talking about! Thank you for inviting grandpa to come and be a part of this special day! Love you guys!
That is SO awesome! It is so sad how today's kids are being cheated of the stories and experiences from our past veterans. My hubby is a counselor to combat vets and their families and started/leads 2WWII groups here in Spokan (in addition to Vietnam and Korea). He is all about the veterans (being a Navy man) and has been so blessed by them! Thank you Aaron -for taking the initiative and time to make that happen. It was, no doubt, more meaningful to the vets to be able to pass on their legacy to the next generation!
Kelli
Aaron,
I just read the entry about the event you hosted for veterans. I must have said "WOW" outloud 10 times as I read it. What an amazing and meaningful event!... for both the veterans and for the students. The value of giving these veterans an opportunity to share their stories cannot be over stated. And doing it in a small-group fashion where the could be maximum interaction between vet and student... well done. I am at veterans events all the time and often facilitate them. I must say that this event is a model to be emulated. We're losing over 1200 WWII veterans per day. I don't know if you can fathom just how special you made each of these veterans feel. I salute you!
Dave Baird, Chief Petty Officer, US Navy, Readjustment Counselor, Spokane Veteran's Outreach Center.
That is the greatest. I love that Aaron just went for it and planned such a cool even. What a great tradition he has started!!
Thank you for putting this program on for the young people. They need to know what an important role our men and women in uniform play to provide the freedom we enjoy. My dad is Fred Wise, and I am so proud of him!
What a great event! I am so glad Aaron planned that to help us all remember the wonderful stories of those who sacrificed so much for our freedom! Thank you!
Post a Comment