Friday, December 5, 2008

The 25 Days of Christmas...Cards 1-5

The leaders of our Hillside Community Church Children's Ministry gave us a set of these awesome cards as a Christmas gift. It is a set of 25 cards...one for each day of December leading up to Christmas Day! The idea is...you make up a bag for each day. In each bag you put a card and something to go with the subject of that card. Each day our family has been sitting down and opening the bag for that day. Here are the first 5 days of December!

Bags 1-5

Day 1

Card/Bag #1 was about the Nativity. The card asks you to read the story of Jesus's birth from the book of Luke in the Bible and then instructs you to set up your Nativity scene.

We carry on a tradition from Aaron's family when we set up our Nativity scene. We take turns opening a wrapped figure, guessing which one it is, unwrapping it, then tell why that figure is important to the story.

This is how my kids set up the scene!

Day 2

Card/Bag #2 was a description of the meaning of the candy cane. There is a scripture passage to read with every card every day. Also in this bag was a big candy cane and a storybook about the maker of the candy cane (I happened to have the book already).

Day 3

Day #3 card was about Noah and being obedient to God.

Day 4

Day #4 F.R.O.G. Fully Rely On God

Day 5

Day #5 was about building your house (life) on a solid foundation (Christ). Also in the bag was a gingerbread house kit to help us remember that concept.
The kids are loving the bags!!
Each bag requires some other "reminder" item like a book, small toy, stickers, etc. I have spent very little money. I was able to find things I already had to put in the bags. The kids do not see it as "getting" something each day at all. They are just excited to open the bags!
Thank you Shelley and Sherry!


5 comments:

Melissa said...

What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

caryn said...

I love it. We are doing something similar to that...but way more low key. I think Filippo has the same purple shirt that Caden is wearing...thanks Aaron.

Becky said...

Wow Jenni! What a great idea. It is too late (and too hectic) for me to do that this year...but what a good reminder of the real reason for the season. And a perfect way to incorporate Christmas traditions. So...you going to list them all so I have more ideas? :) Making mental notes for next year...
Becky
ps-sorry we never saw you!! We ended up having to stay at a motel that night, then we still had no working car, so we rented a van...and due to Sunday-after-Thanksgiving traffic, it took us 9 LONG hours to get home. Yipes!

aimee_p said...

I would love to get a copy of those cards---that would be great while the kids are of track. They could look forward to that each morning.

Cherise said...

I love this idea! So cute.
p.s.-Hope all is well with the family- they all look so adorable and are getting so big!